Tuesday, March 21, 2006

House Break

Well, the weekend was OK overall, despite the challenge of not really having a voice the whole time. After I left the office on Friday, the laryngitis got progressively worse, and Saturday, the day of the wedding, I basically just whispered all day. By the time the wedding happened in the evening, I could croak out general niceties, but it was really annoying. But we had fun; John for some reason decided to dance, which I didn't understand but I wasn't about to ask questions for fear the spell may have been broken. I love dancing, and so does he, but most of the time he is too shy to do it.

We stayed up late Saturday night with John's midwestern cousins, and I really liked them. I am glad to find that he has more really cool family members. His cousin Kristin is a really nice girl; I wish she lived closer - her brothers and their broods too. There are four kids under 5 on that side of the family. Cute kids.
On Sunday on the way home, we called my friend Caitlin, who is a real estate agent, and arranged to go look at some houses when we got back. We did a full tour of this neighborhood my best friends Jessica (Caitlin's sister) and Matt just bought in, and we fell in love with just about every house. I had been adamant about not buying a house until we were married, but we did some negotiating on that. Basically I said I would go forward if we could get this whole wedding thing out of the way within a year. I say that in a nonchalant way, but it's actually a pretty big deal. It would essentially mean that we will be engaged in the next 12 weeks. So I agreed to that. We'll see how he does.

Yesterday we got moving on putting a bid on one of the houses, the one we liked best. It's beautiful, but after closer examination of our finances it doesn't really look like a smart choice. Real estate in this part of NJ is so expensive that it's easy to look at something that's just under 400k and think it's affordable, but I think we would be spreading ourselves awfully think, and possibly setting ourselves up for disaster. We agreed this morning before John left that we were going to look into smaller homes, but I just got an email saying that he was having second thoughts, so we'll see what he's come up with later.

I'm home from work for the second day in a row as this throat-attacking virus hangs on. My doctor told me yesterday that she's seen a number of people with this, and it's taking 2-3 weeks to go away. Awesome. I guess that includes my general malaise last week, though, so maybe I'm in the home stretch. It totally sucks though. I can talk a little bit better now, but now I have this horrible cough which the Vicks 44 just isn't touching. Blech. Today I don't have to leave to go to the doctor or anything though, so maybe I'll finally get the magic combination of rest.

We also went out to dinner with Matt and Jessica on Sunday night, and they brought their daughter Jillian. She is a little pip these days, making all kinds of trouble at the restaurant. But she's so cute and actually very funny. And she defnitely steals your heart by putting her hands out to be held. She wanted me to carry her out to the car after dinner, and I just about died from the cuteness. I also learned that it's hard to carry a baby AND a purse. Must be really fun when the purse is a giant diaper bag. Eek.


Post a Comment

<< Home